Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 28, 2014 at 5:17 am

July 4th 1968, Glenda & I, with our 3 year old son, boarded a Pan Am flight to London via Brussels to our new home in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Ironically, one year earlier, we were at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Fairfax, VA. The youth pastor had taken us out to see the new Dulles International Airport...one year to the day! Having never flown, having never been out of the US, this was quite a venture for this 27 year old! It was very hot that day, but we faced our first culture shock when we arrived in London the next morning & it was 50 degrees. We spent a week & half with my brother, Doug & his wife, Helen, who was in the Air Force there. Then we flew to Brussels to visit my sister, Helen & her husband, Berle Harper. He was also in the military. After a week & half there, we flew to Addis Ababa via Athens.

46 years later, I am making this trip alone....but what a difference 46 years make. We lived in Ethiopia for nearly 12 years until because of Glenda's health we had to retire from the mission field. What a change 46 years makes in a country! In some respects, it feels like a different country, but in other respects, some things never change. I am looking forward to waking to the Muslim call to prayer & the Ethiopian Orthodox chant--both over loud speakers. There will be roosters crowing & the smell of of wood & charcoal burning as people begin their day. 

I am also looking forward to my trip to the countryside with Frank & Karon Auterson. I have made that scenic trip so many times & enjoyed it every time. The main purpose of this trip though will be to travel to Western Ethiopia to hold a conference with the pastors from South Sudan who will cross the border into Ethiopia for 5 days studying the Word of God. Please pray that this conference will be fruitful. 

So long until I write you again with some new memories!
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment